An imperial Maison d'éducation at the heart of the forest - Saint Germain Boucles de Seine
An imperial Maison d'éducation at the heart of the forest
Route des Loges
Sited in the former 'Les Loges' convent, in the middle of a magnificent 8-hectare park in the Saint-Germain-en-Laye forest, the Maison d'éducation des Loges, a school for the descendants of recipients of the Légion d'honneur, is open to the public only on special occasions.
Consequently, the first maison d'éducation opened its doors at the Château d'Ecouen in 1807. Marie-Antoinette's former lady-in-waiting, Madame Campan, who had also been governess to the Emperor's two sisters, became the first headmistress.
The second was opened in 1809 in the former Abbaye de Saint-Denis.
In 1810, three houses for the orphaned daughters of legionnaires who had died in active service were added to the collection. Among them was the Maison des Loges de Saint-Germain, which survived several reorganisations to become a maison d'éducation.
Apart from the Maison d'Ecouen, which closed in 1962 – the château now houses the Musée national de la Renaissance – all have crossed the centuries and different political regimes while retaining their prestige.
Ouvert uniquement dans le cadre de visite programmée ou des Journées Européennes du Patrimoine
No reviews available.