The Château-Neuf of Saint-Germain - Saint Germain Boucles de Seine
The Château-Neuf of Saint-Germain
In 1557, Henry II wishes to have a pleasure house overlooking the Seine. It is around this "House theater and bathing" that Henri IV built, from 1594, what will become the Château-Neuf.
This beautiful set has unfortunately suffered a lot of damage over the centuries. First, a partial collapse of terraces and caves around 1660. Then almost complete destruction by the Count of Artois, brother of Louis XVI, the latter wanting to build a new building.
The remains of the Château-Neuf are today: the Ramp of the Caves and the Wall of Lions, the Pavilion Sully (also called Pavilion of the Gardener) and the Oratory of the King, where was waved the future king Louis XIV, just after his birth at Château-Neuf.
Classified as a historic monument, the Oratory is now part of the four-star hotel-restaurant, Pavillon Henri IV.
During the year, the tourist office suggests visits to the Pavilion Henri IV, the Ramp of the Caves or a digital presentation of the Château-Neuf; directed by Jacques Paolo, graphic designer
No reviews available.