Saint Germain Church - Saint Germain Boucles de Seine
Saint Germain Church
The fourth church to be built on the site of the original small priory, the Eglise Saint-Germain has survived the reign of many kings and seen many reworkings over the centuries.
Louis XV found it too small and so decided to build a fourth church, which he oriented towards the château rather than facing west. The first stones were laid in 1766, before the Revolution, but it was not completed until 1829.
It is decorated with various remarkable works, including a bas-relief that is a copy of the Parma 'Deposition' by Benedetto Antelami; the pulpit, originally designed for a chapel at the Château de Versailles; two organs listed by the Monuments Historiques, the large one commissioned by Louis XIV from A. Thierry and the chancel organ designed by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll; frescoes by Amaury Duval; and paintings by Saint-Germain artist Paul Véra.
The church also houses the tomb of James II of England. Deposed from the English throne, he was welcomed by Louis XIV in 1688 and lived in the Château Vieux de Saint-Germain until his death in 1701. Louis-Philippe had the mausoleum built in 1835 and Queen Victoria offered the wall decoration, which displays the coats of arm of English monarchs.
Every day throughout the year between 9 am and 8 pm.
Closes at 5pm on Mondays.
When the door leading to the Place Charles de Gaulle is closed, the church can be entered via the side staircase situated in the cour du presbytère.
No reviews available.